Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge Final Check-In!

I actually finished the Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge!  At the beginning of February I was having serious doubts, so I'm pretty impressed with myself for pulling it off.  


Newly Completed:

10 points: Read a book with a food in the title.
Still Life With Bread Crumbs by Anna Quindlen.  Eh.  The main character is a photographer and I found myself more interested in her photos than her story.  It wasn't a terrible book - it was just a fairly uneventful one.  I honestly couldn't bring myself to give a damn about any of the characters (except maybe the dog!)  (252 pages, 2.5 stars)



15 points: Read a book that was originally written in a language that is not your native language.
Story of O by Pauline Réage.  This was the Vaginal Fantasy pick for February.  Man...I can't decide how I feel about this book.  It's a BDSM story that makes Fifty Shades look like Sesame Street.  I found the story fascinating and disturbing at the same time.  Oh, and a little depressing.  (204 pages, 3.5 stars)


30 points: Read two books with a different meal in each title.
The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill.  I listened to the audiobook version of this and the narrator did a wonderful job.  I went in expecting a run-of-the-mill mystery and was pleasantly surprised by some of the elements and twists.  I'm not entirely sure I'll continue into the series, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  (272 pages, 4 stars)



Whiskey for Breakfast by Liliana Hart.  I actually blew through the first book of this Addison Holmes series in one day while I was sick.  The whole series is the literary equivalent of cotton candy: a little silly and not extremely filling, but enjoyable, fun and easy to consume.  If you enjoy mysteries and romance with a bit of humor, I definitely recommend the series. (246 pages, 4 stars)


Previously Completed:

5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules. (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
10 points: Read a book written by an author who has published at least 10 books.  (Karma Girl)
10 points: Read a book of short stories.  (Wolfsbane and Mistletoe.)
15 points: Read the first book in a series that is new to you. (Mind Games)
15 points: Read a book written by a local author.  (Ill Wind)
20 points: Read a book with a direction in the title. (Witches of East End)
20 points: Read a "bookish book" in which books play an important role. (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore) 
25 points: Read a book with a song lyric in the title. (Parasite)
25 points: Read a book from a genre you don't usually read. (I Am Malala)

Final Score: 200 points

1 comment:

  1. Good for you on semi completing! You have some good reads there!

    ReplyDelete