Thursday, August 8, 2013

(Un)fashionably (Un)fit

To track all of my fitness activity, I use a Fitbit One.


If you've never heard of a Fitbit, it basically tracks your steps, stairs climbed, distance traveled, time active, and calories burned.  It will also track your sleep quality and the website has other features like a log for food, water intake, etc.  Oh, and it will tell you motivating messages whenever you move after being still for a bit.

The default daily step goals are 10k a day.  I work from home and I'm extremely lazy.  The combination of the two mean I pretty much don't leave the couch, like, ever.  I bumped my goal down to 7k a day, which I felt like was something more attainable, but I'd still have to move my ass off the couch to reach.

Does seeing my activity motivate me to be more active?  Yes and no.  If I look at my fitbit at 6pm and see that I've walked a thousand (or less) steps, I kind of feel like there's no point to even trying.  If I've somehow hit 4k+ then I'll force myself to go on a walk or march around the house while I'm reading until I hit my 7k.  If I've hit 7k, I try to wander around until I hit 10k.  If I've hit 10k...well, that almost never happens.

So, last week (Monday-Sunday) I managed to do 38,188 steps.  That's an average of 5,455 per day.  While it's not *terrible* given my lifestyle, it's not where I'd like to be.

If anyone would like to be my Fitbit friend and help motivate me to be competitive, this is my profile.  Or you can just stalk me and judge how little I get off the couch.  That's cool too.

No comments:

Post a Comment