Thursday, January 22, 2015

The DIY Gift That Bombed

J and I did not plan our relationship well.

You see, right after Christmas is J's birthday, then in the beginning of January is our anniversary; my birthday is at the end of January and then we fall right into Valentine's Day.  It's basically a month and a half of planning and buying gifts, so somewhere along the way we've started making a tradition of DIY anniversary gifts.  

Since I'm trying to declutter, it didn't make sense for me to craft him something that would just sit on the shelf so I wanted to make him something that he'd actually use.  I was stumped until I realized that the most obvious answer was in one of his favorite past times: baths.

I started out just making bath salts in his favorite scent.  They're pretty and all, but lacked the cheesiness factor that I prefer when giving an anniversary gift.


Side note: green bath salts in the making are disgusting looking.


I then decided to make bath bombs...with a twist.  If you're curious, here's how to make some of your own.  If you're not curious...move along, move along.

In a bowl mix together:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup epsom salts
(optional) Cosmetic glitter!


In a smaller container, mix:
2ish teaspoons coconut oil (in liquid form)
6 teaspoons of liquid made up of scent, color and water.  The exact ratio depends on the strength of the essential oil and coloring.  (Make sure that both are bath and body grade.)  Keep in mind that it will be less strong once you get in the tub, but it's safer to be on the underscented/colored side.


Slooooowly stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture.  If you add it too quickly, it'll activate and start fizzing.  This is bad, mmmk.  The consistency you want will hold its shape when you squeeze it together - if it's too dry, add a little more water.


Okay, so here's my twist.  I went to a party store and got a bunch of cheesy, cheap little party favor toys.  I used the King Cube ice tray I got from Popsugar long, long ago as my bomb mold.  You can also use a cupcake pan, candy molds, plastic Easter eggs...whatever you have sitting around the house.


Fill your molds half way with your mixture, add your toy, then dump the rest of your mixture on top.  Try to be a little more even and neat than I was, obviously.  Then, press down on the top of each of your bomb mold area things until it's firmly packed.  Let them dry overnight before removing from the random-thing-you're-using-as-a-mold. 


I was sick when I was trying to put these together, so I derped and forgot to take a picture of the finished tray.  (This is also why the photos I did take aren't Pinterest quality ;) ) I also stuck some sugar hearts (like for cake decorating) in the bombs before letting them harden.  

I wrote some sort of cheesy note corresponding with each toy (like this one for the bracelet that had Rockstar printed on it and "You make me smile!" for the smiley face ball) and wrapped each bomb and note up individually in aluminum foil.  You can also use saran wrap, but I didn't want the notes to show through and...well, shiny.


 I tucked all of the bombs into a box with a - you guessed it - cheesy note.


 The biggest downside of making these as a gift for someone you live with is that it sort of ruins the surprise.  J knew the house smelled extra fragrance-y, but he said he was actually expecting me to give him candles.

Cheap toys and bath products might not seem like the makings of a perfect gift for a 28 year old guy, but the bombs went over really well.  He's used two so far and apparently had been bragging to some of his friends about his "epic gift."

No comments:

Post a Comment