Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge Check-In #1!

I didn't hear about the Semi-Charmed Winter Book Challenge until it had actually started, so I missed the preliminary link up, but I thought I'd share my progress so far!


Completed:

10 points: Read a book written by an author who has published at least 10 books.  
Karma Girl by Jennifer Estep.  This was the November Alt for Vaginal Fantasy Book Club.  I had a really hard time with this one.  It's set in a world where superheroes and villians are real.  I'm not a huge fan of superheroes in general, but there was something about the writing style that just wouldn't quite work for me. (360 pages, 3 stars)  





15 points: Read the first book in a series that is new to you. 
Mind Games by Carolyn Crane.  This was the November pick for Vaginal Fantasy.  The club chooses a lot of first-in-a-series books, but rarely do I ever go back and pursue the second book on.  The idea of people using their own anxieties as a weapon by channeling them into other people is fascinating, so I might pick up the second book. (371 pages, 4 stars)




5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules. 
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.  I must have checked this out from the library three or four times before actually starting on it.  I generally dislike books that aren't stand alones and practically force you to continue the series.  Fortunately, the characters and story are compelling enough that I'm willing to forgive that. (418 pages, 4 stars)




15 points: Read a book written by a local author.  
Ill Wind by Rachel Caine.  The premise of people who are able to control the weather was promising but there was just something about the book as a whole that didn't really click with me.  I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.  Actually, I didn't feel strongly enough about it to even remember why I gave it three stars.  (337 pages, 3 stars)



Current Score: 45 points

Planned:

10 points: Read a book of short stories.   
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
15 points: Read a book that was originally written in a language that is not your native language. 
Battle Royale
20 points: Read a book with a direction in the title. 
Witches of East End
20 points: Read a "bookish book" in which books play an important role. 
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
25 points: Read a book with a song lyric in the title. 
Does it count if it's only one word, but that one word is the name of a song?  If so, Parasite.  If not...we'll see. :)


Still to go:

10 points: Read a book with a food in the title. 
25 points: Read a book from a genre you don't usually read. 
30 points: Read two books with a different meal in each title.

No comments:

Post a Comment